Here are 10 things you should know before buying new furniture for your North Dallas new home.
There are many people who want to buy new furniture in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. This includes the very busy and growing area of North Dallas, including Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Prosper and Fairview.
The area is booming because there are many companies moving to Collin County, Texas, including Toyota North America which will be bringing 4000 jobs to the area and FedEx Office. In the Plano Legacy area alone, Liberty Mutual Insurance will also bring 4000 new jobs to Plano. It opens in 2019.
The real estate market is booming in Plano. Legacy West will have a 300 room hotel, 40 restaurants with Toyota new headquarters being built right down the road.
JP Morgan Chase is putting a regional campus in Plano which will bring 6000 employees to that location.
Because of all these companies and more moving into the North Dallas area, there is a gigantic housing boom going on. Frisco and McKinney are 2 of the fastest growing cities in the United States. Plano was also named America’s best city to find a job.
People are moving into this area from all over the United States and moving into a new home and furnishing them is a pretty big undertaking.
Here are 10 things you should think about before buying new furniture.
Decorating a new home is a lot more than buying new furniture, it also includes; window coverings, artwork, accessories, floor coverings, paint, and lighting. Most people just think of the major furniture pieces without a plan for their total decorating. I will give you some reasons why you should consider a detailed decorating plan. You don’t have to buy everything at once, but when you have a plan you will eventually have your dream home. You will also avoid costly mistakes.
1. You need to have a detailed decorating plan of what you need or want to buy. Who will be using the room? How much seating will you need? What kind of durability do you need? Are you picking out the interior selections for your new home or are you working with existing colors? What colors do you want to coordinate from room to room? What is your budget for total decorating, not just major pieces?
2. You need to have a detailed floor plan of every room that you want to buy furniture for. This will help you to buy the right size pieces for your home. I can’t stress enough how important this is. So many times I have gone to client’s homes after they have bought new furniture for their home that is too small or too big. They are very disappointed and they know it doesn’t look good. They ask me if I can fix their room, but I don’t have a magic wand. If they would have contacted us before they purchased furniture, they could have avoided this costly mistake.
3. What existing pieces of furniture do you want to use in your new home? Perhaps, you have a family heirloom chair or an antique sewing machine that you want to display. Be sure to figure these pieces in your floor plan and be sure to let your interior designer know about these pieces. A professional interior designer can design around most of your existing pieces. It is best to figure this out ahead of time, so if something is not going to work with your new look, you will not waste money moving it to your new home.
4. Do you know where your lamps will go so there will be adequate lighting in the room? You should have a lighting plan as well as a floor plan. You should think about how each room will be used and what type of light will work best. There are three types of lighting; general lighting, task lighting and accent or mood lighting. In an office you need general lighting and task lighting. In a living room you might want all three. General lighting can be accomplished more than one way. In your living room, you might already have recessed overhead lights which will give you general lighting. This type of light might be great for cleaning, but there is too much glare for watching TV. It is better to have end tables with lamps on them that have shades. This way you will get filtered light without glare.
Functional master bathroom lighting
5. What flooring is in the room? Do you need a rug to pull the room together? Is there wood, tile or carpet in the room? Be sure you know what colors will look good with your flooring. This is very important.
6. What type of window coverings will be in the room? What style will your window treatments be? Will they be formal or informal? What colors will they be? What are you going to use for light control and privacy? There are so many options for window treatments. Don’t settle for the same thing your neighbors have, just because it is an easy choice. Contact your interior designer to see all the possibilities.
7. How will you choose your furniture and be sure it goes well with your wall color, your flooring and your window treatments? How do you select high end furniture?
8. Ask yourself these questions. Will I need an interior designer to help coordinate my interior design plans? Would they help me with my planning? Would they help me with my color coordination? Would they help me with my window treatment design? Would they help me avoid costly decorating mistakes?
9. How will you pull the room together with artwork and accessories? Rugs can be an important part of your home decor and a professional interior designer can help you find the rug that is just right for you and the right size for your room. Artwork that is just the right size is also very important. A professional designer can also help you put smaller pieces of art together in a wall arrangement. Your accessories, such as pillows, vases, decorative bowls, throws, rugs, et al, should all work together to make your room magnificent.
The finishing details are the jewelry of the room.
10. Planning, measuring, finding the right styles that are comfortable and also fit your floor plan, coordination of style and color, and window treatments that are designed for your unique windows are all things that a good interior designer can help you with. It is important to call on a designer before you buy any furniture so they can help you from the beginning to make your dreams for your home come true.